Royal Star Tourdeluxe
Gan Uesli Starling’s motorcycle touring photo journal
Me at Devil’s Tower on 2000-08-23
Royal Star Tourdeluxe — my 7th motorcycle: a 1997, four-cylinder DOHC, 1297cc, water-cooled, 5-speed cruiser by Yamaha.
- 2002-06-09 Custom paint by Dave DeRyke — 11 photos
Prior bikes to date were (in order from 1970 till now): Yamaha 60 Single, Yamaha 100 Twin, Honda CB 350 DOHC, Honda CB 450 DOHC, Honda CB 750-Four (chopper), Harley Davidson 1000 Sportster.
Crash — Rider all but unhurt.
Long-Distance Rides — (see maps)
Long-ago ride with the first wife— an 1100-mile round-trip to Alabama including the Natchez Trace and Blue Ridge Parkways.
- 2000-06-10 A balloon landing, the Natchez Trace & Blue Ridge Parkway. — 13 photos
- 2000-06-10 Long version: full-length write-up.
1999 thru 2004 — short trips around Michigan.
- 2004-06-13 Bike Show at the Gilmore Car Museum — 40 photos
- 1999-09-12 Various places: Hell, etc. — 5 photos
Peak horsepower charts
My graphs from the Dyno. Note that an out-of-the-box Royal Star is rather sadly detuned (considering it is basically a V-Max engine)! So I gave mine a modest upgrade: Barons BAK carburetor kit (re-jeted and with K&N filters); Bub 4-into-2 exhaust. I didn’t go for the racing-grade ignition with a higher rev-limit. So I’m still bogged down to 6K rpm (112 mph). But I figure that’s good enough for me. Anyway, here’s what I got for my money.
- Power Graph Roll-on in fourth (1st overdrive). 64.7 HP & 77 FT-LB torque.
- Power Graph Second through fifth gears vs roll-on. 66.4 HP max.